A stone water conduit stood at Carfax from 1610 to 1787, when the road was widened for coach traffic. It was removed and given to Lord Harcourt, who set it up in Nuneham Park, which now belongs to the University of Oxford
Above: The Carfax Conduit at Nuneham Courtenay, painted by Percy Roberts in about 1850
The conduit was built at Carfax, Oxford by John Clark, a Yorkshire stone-carver,after it was agreed that a grant should be passed authorizing the University to open the streets to bring water to Carfax in lead pipes and to build a conduit “to be bewtified and adorned as an ornament of the citty with three several cocks fayerly set out to run water three several ways”, and that the City would allow as much space as could be spared at Carfax, for which a fee of a shilling a year would be paid.
The letters “O:N” can be seen repeated around the conduit: these are the initials of Otho Nicholson, a wealthy graduate of Christ Church, who both had the idea for the conduit and paid for it. It provided water from a cistern on Hinksey Hill via an underground lead pipe, with the upper part supplying various colleges, and the lower part the city.
A description of the conduit after it was repaired in 1686 states that:
the water which comes from the fountain head or conduit-house near Hinksey aforementioned is conveyed into the body of the carved ox, and thereby the city is supplied with good and wholesome water, issuing from his pizzle, which continually pisses into the cistern underneath from whence proceeds a leaden pipe out of which runs wine on extraordinary days of rejoycing.
Occasions when Carfax conduit ran with wine were the Restoration of the monarchy in 1660,
The fate of the conduit was sealed by the Mileways Act of 1771, which proposed its removal: as can be seen from the 1775 painting below, it very much obstructed traffic going in and out of the High Street on the left:
The conduit was not removed, however, until 1787, when it was replaced by a new water-house on the north side of Carfax.
The following account was written soon after its erection at Nuneham Courtenay:
The original situation of this piece of antiquity is well known to have been in the centre of the principal street in Oxford; and, probably, from its situation in the middle of four ways, or quatre voiz (in old French) it obtained the vulgar appellation of Carfax; or, perhaps, with as much probability, from Carrefour, the place where several streets meet.
The decayed state of this building, and its inconvenient situation, induced the University very lately to take it down, and judiciously to place it in hands, where it might remain a gratification to the curious, and a pleasing monument of antiquity. The noble Earl has caused some Latin and English lines to be inscribed on this building, on its being placed in his ground; the latter of which run as follows:
This building called Carfax,
Erected for a Conduit at Oxford,
By Otho Nicholson,
In the year of our Lord MDCX,
And taken down in the year MDCCLXXXVII,
To enlarge the High Street,
Was presented by the University
To George Simon, Earl Harcourt,
Who caused it to be placed here.
The water supply to Carfax Conduit
The water came from a 2,000 gallon tank in a well-house on the hill above North Hinksey, and was piped into the city near Littlegate.
Above: the conduit well-house on Hinksey Hill in 2011