OLD OXFORD

Previous
Next

Iffley


Iffley village

Church Way, Iffley

The photograph on the above postcard shows Church Way in Iffley village, looking north. This postcard is postmarked 1911, but the photograph probably dates from around 1900

Thatched cottage in Iffley

A thatched cottage in Iffley, near Oxford (now 2 Mill Lane)

Someone with a fountain pen has put the date “7-7-12” on this card, so the above picture was taken before 1912. The cottage looks recently restored, with new thatch and new windows downstairs. The dry-stone wall has been finished off with a sloping brick course and brick piers for the gate.


Kelly’s Directory for 1891 lists the following inhabitants of Iffley:

  • Private Residents
    Allen John, Wootton house
    Armstrong Mrs. Elm Lodge
    Bickerton Joseph Jones, The Elms
    Bryning Robert, Mill hill
    Carter Henry, Rose bank
    Cobb Edward George, Rose hill
    Edmund H.W., Rougemont
    Francis Miss
    Hearne Miss
    Ind Major Frederick J. Nash, Court Place
    Kent Miss, The Priory
    Lenthall Miss, Lucia house
    Lever Surgeon-Major Reginald Croft M.B., Denton house
    Lingham Charles
    Marshall Miss, Manor house
    Martin Frank, Flora cottage
    Owen Charles Mostyn, Wood house
    Parker James, Freelands
    Shipperley Mrs
    Slatter Miss, Rose hill
    Turner Edward Henry, Manor house
    Venables Sidney, Donnington lodge
    Walmsley Rev. Horatio, M.A. [vicar], The Rectory
  • Commercial
    Belcher Charles, beer retailer
    Blay Henry, carpenter
    English Edwin, grocer
    Gillam Harriet (Mrs.), shopkeeper
    Henwood Eden, shopkeeper, Post office
    Jeffries Robert Moore, miller, Iffley mill
    Manders Henry, carpenter
    Martin James, shoe maker
    Stewart William, beer retailer, Rose hill
    Taylor Walter James, Isis tavern
    Thompson Arthur, King of Prussia P.H., Rose hill
    Walter George, builder
    White Edwin, butcher
    White Thomas, Tree P.H.
    West John, dairyman
    Young George, builder, Rose hill

Back to “Old Oxford” home

Contact

Back to “Oxfordshire history” home