OLD OXFORD

Previous
Next

Woodstock Road: Radcliffe Infirmary


The Radcliffe Infirmary

The foundation stone for the Radcliffe Infirmary was laid on 27 August 1761. The original architect was Stiff Leadbetter, but he died in 1766 and the work was completed by John Sanderson. The hospital accommodated 68 patients in four wards, and the first patients were admitted in October 1770. The next year three additional wards (named Mordaunt, Bagot, and Drake after Radcliffe Trustees) opened.

The hospital stood on a five-acre site in the open fields of St Giles, which was then considered well away from the city, and had its own three-acre garden. The hospital closed down in 2007.

The postcard above shows the 1770 infirmary (just an administration block today) facing a deserted Woodstock Road in about 1905. The postcard below is from a photograph by Henry Taunt. On the right is the hospital chapel, built by Sir Arthur Blomfield in 1864.

Radcliffe Infirmary

Back to “Old Oxford” home

© Stephanie Jenkins: Contact

Back to “Oxfordshire history” home