CORNMARKET, OXFORD

Back
Next

11–12 Cornmarket


11-12 Cornmarket

11 and 12 Cornmarket, c.1905

 

Above: This single shop was built on the site of two narrow old shops at 11 and 12 Cornmarket in 1938/9.

It is inscribed on the corner between the windows with the building date “1938”.

 

Right: 11 & 12 Cornmarket in c.1905.

On the right is the northernmost section of the Roebuck Inn; in the middle is the whole of No. 11 (Hamlet & Dulake’s estate agent office); and on the left is most of No.12 (Margetts’s hatter’s shop).

In the censuses

1841

No. 12 is occupied by the hatter Alexander Scott (40) and PHebe (40), Jane (15), and Benjamin (12). Two independent men aged about 25 also live with them.

1851

No. 11 is occupied by Fredric Telfer (43), a chemist & druggist), and his wife Jemima (38) and son Fredric J. (14). Also living over the shop are his apprentice Isaac Price (19) and one female servant.

No. 12 is occupied by the widow Phebe Scott (49) and her son Benjamin (22): both are described as hatters and hosiers. They have one servant.

1861

No. 11 is occupied by William Perry (26), a chemist & druggist born in Steeple Aston, and his apprentice Medmer Goodwin (36) and one servant.

No. 12 is described as “shop only”. The proprietor, George Margetts, was then living in Headington.

1881

No. 11 was occupied by Richard Gilman (62), a Bristol-born bootmaker. Living with him was his wife Mary (61) and their five daughters: Mary (28), Rose (26), Sarah (24), Alice (21), and Matilda (17). The family had one servant.

Once again No. 12 is described as uninhabited. Frederick Margetts (51) spent the night at his home at 61 James Street in east Oxford. Born in Sandford and described as a hatter & outfitter employing 8 assistants and 2 boys, he is living with his London-born wife Sarah (54) and his sons Frederick Arthur (17) and Arthur George (14). The family has one female servant.

Occupants of 11 Cornmarket and 12 Cornmarket listed in directories etc.

Date

No. 12 (left) No. 11 (right)

1839

A. J. Scott, Hatter & Furrier (1839)

Phoebe Scott, Hatter (1846);
Hatter & furrier (1852)

William Brown, Confectioner

1846

Edward Bartlett, Accountant

1852

F. Telfer, Chemist

1861

“Shop only” in census
(George Margetts’s business)

William Perry
Chemist and Druggist

1867

Frederick Margetts
Hatter & Woollen Draper
(later hatter, tailor, & outfitter)

T. Hughes
Dispensing Chemist
“Agent for Felix sultana’s exquisite perfumes”

1872–1880

Gillman & Son
Boot & Shoe Makers

1890

Metropolitan & Birmingham Bank Ltd
Alexander McNeil, Manager: lived on premises

1899

William Kemp, Bookbinder
London Rubber Co (William E. Jennings, Manager)

1901–1902

Lloyds Bank Ltd (no listing in 1902)

1911

Hamlet & Dulake
Auctioneers & estate agents

later Herbert Dulake & Co

1914–1936

Oxford Clothiers

The two shops were now demolished and rebuilt as a single block in 1938, with the upstairs
called the Prudential Buildings (the Prudential Assurance Co Ltd occupied the offices until 1960)

1945–1973

Noel Fashions

1976–1982

Peter Lord, shoe retailers

1990

Bally Group shoe retailers

2000–c.2015

Vodafone

2016–present

Wasabi

Oxford History Home

© Stephanie Jenkins

Cornmarket Home