CORNMARKET, OXFORD

Back
Next

Former houses at 13–15 Cornmarket Street


These three houses stood on the south part of the site of Northgate House until 1960. They were always in the parish of St Michael-at-the-Northgate.

13-15 Cornmarket Street

Nos. 13 & 14

The two small shops that stood here on the north side of the junction with Market Street were demolished in c.1845 and replaced with the fine building shown on the right.

The premises stretched a good way down Market Street, and the offices above were known as Clarendon Chambers. This shop was sometimes numbered 13 and sometimes 14 in early directories and censuses.

John Mayo and his son Arthur ran a tobacco business at Nos. 13/14 from 1854 to 1893. He had a second branch at 22 Cornmarket from 1890 to 1914, and a third at 42 Cornmarket from 1896 to 1901.

  • For an image of Mayo’s wine shop at 13–14 Cornmarket at the top of a bill dated 1875, see Michael L. Turner and David Vaisey, Oxford Shops and Shopping, p. 29, illustration 60.

No. 15

In 1772 a survey of every house in the city was taken in consequence of the Mileways Act of 1771. According to Salter, 15 Cornmarket to the left of this group was then in the occupation of Mr [Richard] Weston, and had a frontage of 4 yards, 1 ft. and 7 in.

The confectioner Mrs Catherine Horn was at No. 15 from about 1840. Her sons John and then Edward took over the shop.

 

Right: A glimpse of the buildings just north of Market Street in 1900. Nos. 13 & 14 Cornmarket on the corner was then occupied a wine & spirit merchant. The narrow building to the north at No. 15 was a confectioner’s shop

In 1960 Nos. 13, 14, & 15 Cornmarket Street were demolished at the same time as two old shops and one more modern building to the north and replaced by the enormous block of Northgate House at 13–20 Cornmarket Street, and Marks & Spencer moved on to the site of the eight old shops.

Occupants of 13–15 Cornmarket Street listed in directories etc.

  No. 15 (left) No. 14 No. 13 (right)

1841

Catherine Horn
Baker

Frederick Telfer
Chemist

William Peter Adams
Bookseller & stationer

1846

No listing (possibly being rebuilt?)

1851–1852

William & Charles Wells
Silversmiths & jewellers

1861

John Horn
Confectioner

1867–1872

Edward Horn
Pastry cook & confectioner/
Confectioner & baker

John Mayo
Ale, porter, spirit & liqueur merchant,
cigar importer, and tobacconist

(apparently since 1854)

Mayo & Son by 1880

Arthur Mayo by 1890

1880

W. H. Seary
Central dining rooms, confectioner & baker

1890

William Henry Viner
Confectioner

1899

Edmund John Brooks
Wine & spirit merchant

1901–1904

Francis Twining
Wine & spirit merchant
(to 1911)

Sidney Twining
Wine & spirit merchant at 13
and Tobacconist at 14 in 1914

Sidney Twining & Co.
Tobacconists
(from 1921)

1905–1945

George E. Weeks & Co.
Bakers & confectioners

1947–1956

Quality Cleaners Ltd
Dyers & cleaners

1958

Not listed: presumably the first to be demolished

1960

Not listed: currently being rebuilt as the new Marks & Spencer store,
which replaced these three old buildings and another five to the north

13–15 Cornmarket Street in the censuses

1841

No. 13: The stationer William Adams (30) lived over his shop with Emma (25) and William (7) and Emma (4). An independent young man of 20 and one female servant also lived with them.

No. 14: The chemist Frederick Telfer (30) lived over his shop with Elizabeth (7) and Frederick (5), plus an apprentice chemist John Loder, an independent person, and one female servant. (Telfer was to take over the shop at 11 Cornmarket when Nos. 13 and 14 were combined into one new shop.)

No. 15: The confectioner Catherine Horn (50) lived here with her son Edward (20), who also described as a confectioner, and her daughter Mary (15). They shared the house with a journeyman and two independent persons, and they had two female servants.

Nos. 13 & 14 probably rebuilt as one shop in c.1845

1851

No. 13/14: William Wells (30), an unmarried jeweller, lived here over his shop with his brother Walter J. Wells (19), described as his assistant, and one servant.

No. 15: Catherine Horn (61), a widowed confectioner employing four men and one boy, lived here over the shop with her children John (32), a hatter; Edward (30), a confectioner; Mary (26), an assistant; and William (20), a cook. Also living with her was her grandson Thomas Bolton, a surgeon’s assistant. A confectioner and two bakers also lived in the household, and they had one house servant.

1861

No. 13/14: Eliza Jane Wells (30), described as a jeweller's wife, lived over her husband’s shop with their children Charles (5) and Caroline (1). Also living with them was the jeweller’s brother-in-law, Edward Barker (25), described as a jeweller’s assistant; and his sister Mary Wells (22), described as a shopwoman. They had two servants: a nursemaid and a general servant.

No. 15: John Horn (42), a confectioner, and his sister Catherine (49), who were both unmarried, lived here with their nephew John Gee (19), who was a hatter and hosier. Two young male bakers who work for Horn also lived with them, and they had one house servant.

1871

Nos. 13/14: John Mayo (42), a widowed wine & spirit merchant, lived here with his children Clara (17), Agnes (13), Laura (11), Arthur (9), and Alice (7), and his housekeeper.

No. 15: John Horn (52), confectioner, lived here over his shop with his unmarried sister Catherine (59), and a servant and apprentice.

1881

No. 13/14: John Mayo (54), wine & spirit merchant, lived her over his shop with his son Arthur (19), who acted as his assistant, and his daughter Amy (17). They had a housekeeper.

No. 15: William Henry Viner (35), an unmarried baker & confectioner’s manager, lived over the shop with his sister Emma (18), who was a confectioner’s assistant, as well as a baker’s boy of 13, and a general servant.

1891

Nos. 13/14: Listed as uninhabited: probably part of the wine merchant's shop downstairs.

No. 15: William Henry Viner (45), a cook, confectioner, and bread & biscuit baker, still lived over his shop, this time with his wife Jane Viner (50) and two nieces: Millicent Miller (15), who was a milliner, and Bessie (7), who was a scholar. Eight members of staff (described as their servants) lived with them: a shopwoman, assistant shopwoman, two domestic servants, a pastry cook & confectioner, an assistant pastry cook & confectioner, and two bread bakers.

1901

Nos. 13/14: Uninhabited: probably part of the wine merchant's shop downstairs.

No. 15: William Henry Viner (55), cook and confectioner, still lived over his shop with his wife Jane (60) and niece Bessie Viner Millens (17). Also living on the premises were two shop assistants, a cook, housemaid, kitchenmaid, pastry cook, journeyman baker, and bread delivery man.

1911

Nos. 13 & 14: No listing: : probably part of the wine merchant's shop downstairs.

No. 15: Miss Sarah Ann Carter (39) the manageress of this confectioner's shop & restaurant, lived in eight rooms here with four shop assistants, a servant, and a waitress.

Oxford History Home

© Stephanie Jenkins

Cornmarket Home