CORNMARKET, OXFORD

Back
Next

30 Cornmarket Street: Pylones


30 Cornmarket

The former and present building on this site was in the parish of St Michael-at-the-Northgate Church.

For leases granted by Oxford City Council between 1581 and 1787 for 29, 30, 31, & 32 Cornmarket Street, see Salter, Oxford City Properties, pp. 246–248.

There were two shops here in the nineteenth century. Jackson's Oxford Journal of 11 October 1879 describes the rebuilding of No. 30½:

In Corn Market-street, Mr. Berry, of Thame, has effected great improvement in rebuilding his property known as No. 30½, occupied by Messrs. Chadwick and Long, as a cutler's shop. The new premises, although not large, and built simply with red brick and timber, owing to their advantageous position, form a striking feature in the street, and a great contrast to the wretched cottage they have replaced. Adjoining are Mr. Lowe's premises, which, without being pulled down and rebuilt, have been thoroughly repaired to last some years longer, and greatly improved by the addition of a new street front. Mr. Jos. Hall was the builder of the former of these houses, and Mr. T. Selby of the latter, Mr. Codd being the architect employed in both cases.

The present shop is built of ashlar stone in neo-classical style with a Dutch gable, and was bought by St Michael & All Saints Charities in 1985. It is named Elliott House after the shoe manufacturer and leather merchant Edwin Litchfield Elliott who by 1861 had moved his business here from 35 Cornmarket Street across the road.

The shop was refronted in 1904 to the design of Herbert Quinton

Until 1912, when the shop next door was rebuilt, Treadwell Passage ran down the north side of this building.

Edwin Litchfield Elliott's son Christopher took over the family boot-making business and continued to run it here until the 1920s.

Occupants of 30 Cornmarket Street listed in directories etc.

Date

30

30½ (smaller shop beside No. 30)

1839–1846

William Stevens
Confectioner
(& Orange merchant in 1839)

No listing

1852

William Bowness
Fruiterer

1861, 1867

E. L. Elliott
Boot and shoe manufacturer
(1861–1880)

 

 

Christopher Frank Elliott
Boot maker
(1890–1921)

1872–1880

Mrs Chadwell, Cutler

Chadwell & Long
Manufacturing cutlers and surgical instrument makers

1890–1911

Reuben Wenborn, Cutler

+ Millar & Nasmyth, Architects, in 1899
+ William H. Baker, Solicitor, in 1901 and 1902
+ Harry Goldcrown, Manufacturing furrier, in 1911

1914

Arthur Jessel, Solicitor
Miss Beesley, Servants’ registry
Oxford Liberal Association

1921

Henry Ernest Tipping, Estate Agent
Royal Insurance Co. Ltd

Probably rebuilt as one shop at this point, with a separate business upstairs

1925–1960

Johnson Bros (Dyers) Ltd.
Dyers & cleaners

Oxford Optical Co.

+ Henry Ernest Tipping, Estate Agent (1925–1936)

+ Gilman & Soame Ltd (incorporating Hills & Saunders),
    Photographers
(1947–1960)

1962–1967

Bollom Ltd,
Dyers & cleaners

Oxford Optical Co. Ltd
Equity Life Assurance Society Ltd

1968–1970

Bateman & Partners Ltd, Ophthalmic Opticians
Equity & Law Life Assurance Society Ltd

1972–1976

Bateman & Partners Ltd, Ophthalmic Opticians

1980–2006

Bateman’s Opticians

2007–2008

Lune Bleu

2009–2010

Octopus

2011–present

Pylones

30 Cornmarket Street in the censuses

1841

William Stevens (55), a fruiterer, lived over the shop with Mary (65), and with another couple called Charles & Mary Lister and their three children. They had one male and one female servant.

1851

William Bowness (24), a fruiterer, and his wife Ann (22) lived over the shop, together with one house servant and one shopman.

1861

The shop was occupied by Edwin Litchfield Elliott (36), born in Northampton and described as a boot maker employing 15 men, ten women, and two boys. He lived over the shop with his Oxford-born wife Matilda (39) and his sons John (8), Joseph (6), William (4), Christopher (2), and an unnamed baby of one month. They had a house servant and nursemaid, and also living with them were a monthly nurse for the new baby and a shopwoman.

1871

No listing.

1881

The building is listed as uninhabited, indicating that the whole of the premises was now used as a shop and manufactory.

1891

No. 30: Unoccupied.

No. 30A: Reuben Wenborn (27), a cutler, lived on his premises with his wife Alice (28) and their children Reuben (6), Elizabeth (4), Percy (2), and Gertrude (eighteen months). They had a student boarder and one general servant.

1901

No. 30: Christopher Elliott (37), boot & shoe maker, lived here over his shop with his wife Ellen (31) and his daughter Dorothy (7). They had one general servant.

No. 30A: Reuben Wenborn (41), a cutler and shopkeeper, still lived here on his premises with his wife Alice (38) and their children Reuben (16), Elizabeth 14), Percy (12), and Bertha (one month). They had a 14-year-old servant girl.

1911

No. 30: Miss Elizabeth Beesley (62) lived here alone in the eight-roomed premises above the shop running a registry for servants.

No. 30A: Harry Goldcrown (22), a manufacturing furrier, lived here in four-roomed premises with his wife Sarah (25), who assisted him in the business, his sister Rachel Goldcrown (20), who was a fur sewer, and his sister-in-law (?stepsister) Minnie Zolty (9).

Oxford History Home

© Stephanie Jenkins

Cornmarket Home